Thursday, April 17, 2008

Not an athlete

Tonight is dragonboat practice numero uno.

I'm pretty pumped for it. The last time I was involved in a team sportwas in high school when I played field hockey. Of course, since a skirt was part of the uniform, I signed up pretty quick. I had never really thought of myself as an athlete, but a few of my friends played field hockey, so I decided to try out. It was a surprise to me when I made the team, and even more surprising that they let me play! I even ended up being starter.

So now I find myself having all the same feelings with this whole dragonboat team experience. It is even harder to view myself as an athlete now that I am not as thin (aka: fatter!) and out of shape. So I just hope it goes well and that I am not totally behind everyone else in terms of athleticism. I wonder if I will ever view myself as an athlete... even as I shed the pounds and build muscle. It is such a mental thing.

What a downer I am!

I AM excited, however, to be part of a team again. Nothing is more motivating than having that kind of support. Update to follow tomorrow!

No comments: