Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My Struggles and Successes #1

Today is success/struggle Tuesday as per the group online I’ve joined to lose weight! So I thought I would post my recent successes and struggles today. I will start with the bad.

Struggles: My eating habits suck. AND… as many of my close friends know, I love my wine. My love for wine has been a long and intimate relationship and has grown increasingly over the years. My preference is for reds, rich ones that are full-bodied and spicy. A good Amarone puts me in exactly the right mood! And to top things off, Renaissance boy’s mama works for a fairly prestigious Ontario wine grower and gives us free bottles all the time. So taking all alcohol out of my diet is not happening. I’m not saying I drink a bottle a day – FAR from it! However, a glass a day for me is not uncommon and wine truly is a part of my (almost daily) diet… and don’t doctors say that one glass a day is okay?! So I know that my a lot of calories come from this.

And eating during the day is tough for me too. People at work tend to bring in lots of delicious snacks and I have very little will power. So that is my main struggle I would say right now (since giving up drinking wine is pretty much out of the question, as you’ve already read!). I love sweets. So I’m trying to bring my lunch every day and eat much more fruit. So far this week though, my colleague made these delicious double chocolate chip cookies, and I had TWO, yes TWO, yesterday and one today. I think they are gone now, so they will not be a struggle tomorrow! But it seems that every day after lunch, I have this huge craving for sweets. Does anyone know what this is from or how I curb it?

Successes: I’ve had several successes this week and last. Last week I was at the gym 4 days! It felt great! So far this week, I’ve yet to go, but I’m going to Pilates tonight. Also, I joined this great new gym in our area – I was searching for awhile. My friend Ginger was joining and asked if I would join with her. Ginger’s boyfriend, Timmy and Renaissance Boy also joined to work out together – so I think that will be encouraging for us to get active together!

FYI – Renaissance Boy is 6’ and weighs about 155lbs. He doesn’t look as skinny as he sounds (although, his waist is a 28!!) because he used to swim and has an excellent V-shaped body, but he feels the need to bulk up a bit.

And my last success was that on Sunday, I went ice skating for the first time in at least 10 years! It was great! Ginger and Timmy have a huge outdoor rink in their backyard, and Renaissance Boy just got hockey skates for Christmas, so we were all out there on Sunday night playing some “hockey”. Not quite as good as those World Junior games, but close!

1 comment:

Sara said...

I hate skating!! That is so awesome that you have another couple to workout with - I'm very jealous!

You had some awesome successes! I love my wine (and beer) too! And sweets! Why don't you alternate - one day wine, one day sweets?